550 pages • Fully revised and updated • Published 2022
Packed with information, authoritative, up to date, covering all major topics – and written in plain English – Telecom 101 is an invaluable textbook and day-to-day reference on telecommunications for non-engineers.
This is the best comprehensive book on telecommunications available anywhere: based on the course materials for Teracom’s famous instructor-led Course 101 Broadband, Telecom, Datacom and Networking for Non-Engineers, the selection of content, its order, timing and pacing have been tuned, refined and constantly updated over years to effectively define and deliver the core set of technical knowledge needed by anyone serious in the telecom business today.
Telecom 101 Sixth Edition is right up to date with discussion of aircraft interfering with 5G in the C-band.
Telecom 101 covers the technologies, the players, the products and services, jargon and buzzwords, and most importantly, the underlying ideas… and how it all fits together.
In one book, you get consistency, completeness and unbeatable value: a wealth of clear, concise, organized knowledge, impossible to find in one place anywhere else!
Reviewing the Telecom 101 Table of Contents, you’ll find that many chapters are like self-contained reference books on specific topics; get all of these topics bound in one volume for one low price.
Compare this to hunting down and paying for multiple books by different authors that may or may not cover what you need to know- and you’ll agree this is a very attractive deal.
Telecom 101 is your go-to resource covering all major topics:
- The modern Broadband Converged IP Telecom Network
- Telecom fundamentals: modems and multiplexing
- Network fundamentals: packets and frames, TCP ports, MPLS
- Internet fundamentals: ISPs, DNS, cloud computing, web services, data centers
- Telecom services: residential, business, wholesale
- Digital media: digitized voice, video, images, quantities, text
- VoIP fundamentals: system components, voice in packets, SIP, softswitches, gateways
- Wireless: spectrum, mobile networks, LTE, 5G, broadband wireless, Wi-Fi, satellite
- Fiber: fundamentals, wavelengths, DWDM, Optical Ethernet, fiber to the premise
- Copper: the PSTN, analog, POTS, DSL, Hybrid Fiber-Coax, LAN cables
- Equipment: routers, Layer 2 switches, call managers / softswitches, legacy CO switches and PBXs, gateways
- The OSI Model: the Layers, their purpose, implementation, how protocol stacks work
- Ethernet, LANs and VLANs: MAC addresses, MAC frames, Layer 2 switches, VLANs
- IP: public and private IP addresses, subnets, routers, DHCP, NAT, IPv6
- MPLS and Carrier Networks: Service Level Agreements, virtual circuits, business VPNs, Class of Service
- Wrapping up: Technology deployment steps, analysis, design, implementation, The Future
Telecom 101 is the course materials for Course 101, allowing study and review of topics before attending a course, and a valuable desk reference after.
Telecom 101 is also the course book and study guide for the TCO Certified Telecommunications Analyst (CTA) telecommunications certification.
Telecom 101 is an economical and convenient way to self-study… these are the materials to an instructor-led course that costs $1895 to attend.
Written by our top instructor, Eric Coll, M.Eng., Telecom 101 contains decades of knowledge and learning distilled and organized into an invaluable study guide and practical day-to-day reference for non-engineers: career- and productivity-enhancing training… an investment in life-long knowledge that will be repaid many times over.
eBook: available on Amazon, Google and Apple
The eBook edition contains every word from the hardcover and softcover editions, in reflowable text and images that display on any device. A detailed hyperlinked Table of Contents allows pinpoint navigation to the information you need.
Join thousands of satisfied customers.
Get your copy today!